Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fitted Blouse on Me - for PR contest.




This month Pattern Review sewing.patternreview.com  has been holding the fitted blouse contest, which will end on 31st March 2013.

I am not a lover of entering contests but I did want the motivation to make myself a fitted blouse and use both a pattern and fabric that were in my stash.  I have not sewn many things over the last few years (too many other things in life needed to be done, so like many people, things I actually enjoy doing got crossed of the list.  I am attempting to put sewing firmly back on the agenda where it belongs.  So this contest was more a matter of challenging myself.

As some of you already know, the blouse I chose was Vogue patterns V8833.

V8833
This blouse is a princess seamed blouse, with added front dart and a wrapped and tied belt.   It has a collar on a collar band and I chose short sleeves.  It has been made in a pin tucked white voile.

Pin tucked voile.
As part of the rules of the competition, I must model the blouse.  This is the difficult bit!  And my house,  being an old character home,  does not have the best lighting for photos.

Front view
The blouse does look like the pattern, except the model (me!) is short and also short waisted, unlike the lady on the pattern envelope.

Front view
I've pulled the belt down a bit here, but I know me - I wriggle and move a lot, so it will always go back up to my higher natural waistline.

Front View
Like this picture!  I guess I better show you the back now:

Back view.
I like the tied in effect on the back view - I have a small back, which causes me quite a few fitting problems. I like the softness of the voile gathering into the wrapped tie belt.

Back view showing collar.
Side view.

I think that is the end of my modelling career!   I better think about the review now.

Pattern description: Vogue 8833.  Fitted, wrap blouse has collar band, princess seams, forward shoulder seams, mock front bans, tie ends, narrow hems and top stitching.

Pattern sizing: (8-10-12-14-16) (A-B-C-D cup options).  I used size 12/B

Did it look like the drawing/photograph on the pattern envelope once you finished sewing it?  Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow:  Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern:  The sleeve heads were too large and needed modification.  I think that for the price that is paid for a Vogue pattern this is a bit of a disappointment.  The tie belt was also very long - I shortened mine by about 8 inches.  Other reviews have also commented that the sleeve head is too large and the belt too long.  I think I would have struggled with the sleeve head quite a bit had it not been for the experiences of the other reviews on this pattern.

Fabric used:  Pin tucked voile, with a firm weave cotton/nylon mix for the collar band, under collar and front facing to add some body and stability in these areas.

Pattern alterations or changes you made:  I altered the back above the princess seams by folding in about 3/8 inch (just under 1 cm)  to fit my narrow back.  I also took a tuck of 3/8 inch (just under 1 cm) out of the top section of the front seam to shoulder so that the shoulder seam matched that of the back. the back.  I made the princess seams at the back narrower and took in a little extra at the back waist.  I raised the waist slightly at the side seams as I am short waisted.   I also needed to take the shoulders/sleeve in from 2 inches (6 cm)below shoulder  - I drew a new curve here.

I added extra to the hem allowance and made  a 1 and 1/4 inch  (2.5 cm) double hem.  I also added a little more at the sleeves and made a double hem of 5/8 inch (about 1.5 cm).

Would you sew it again?  Yes, now that I have fixed the sleeve head problem.

Would you recommend it to others?  Not with the sleeve head problem- this blouse is called a Vogue Easy Options blouse, and I think that for anyone with limited experience a sleeve head problem like this would not know how to solve it.  And Vogue is not a cheap pattern range so this sort of problem would not be expected.

Conclusion: A very nice straightforward blouse to make, with the exception of the sleeve head problem.


I also have my own criteria for every garment I sew.  It has to go with 2 or 3 other garments.  This blouse certainly does - I have lots of unworn white camisoles and t-shirts that have been begging for something nice to go over the top of them.  I also have black and navy stovepipe pants that I can wear with it.

I can wear this blouse for all sorts of occasions - day or weekend.  I do like clothes that can go form the office, to dinner, to the shops, without having to change - mostly because I am busy and don't have time.

Tomorrow I will attempt to post the review on to sewing pattern review's site - it will be my first review, so I hope I manage to work it all out - I usually do that as I go.

Well, I think that is all for tonight - and thank you everyone for your very lovely comments on my earlier blouse postings.

Sarah Liz :)





25 comments:

  1. You have modelled this blouse brilliantly - well done! I can see you will definitely be getting a lot of wear out of it...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, thank you! And I will wear it quite a bit - its been a "missing item" in my wardrobe for years now!

      Delete
  2. You've created and modeled a beautiful blouse. I like it and it turns me on to that pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that turned out fantastic! and what a great model you are! fitted is the key word for mine, it fitted too tight lol! but will not be defeated! starting over! lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - sorry that yours turned out too tight. But your spirit is right - get back on the horse and try again, lol, Sarah

      Delete
  4. You look great in that blouse! Looks like your hard work has paid off, you did a real good job on the fit. It looks so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elise, it was hard work too, especially as it is a while since I have made a blouse of any sort.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow. Your blouse is divine. How gorgeous and so well presented too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria - I must be learning from you. I'm glad I entered this contest because I learnt a lot from it.

      Delete
  6. I love your blouse. The white is so fresh looking. Love the style too. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay. White and classic always works.

      Delete
  7. You will get a lot of wear of this blouse. I love the length.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Dorothy, I like to cover the tummy area :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. It's looks really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sarah Liz, you have inspired me to prioritise my sewing this year. Such interesting articles! Funnily enough, I came across a copy of the Dresscutters Book you have quoted from - tempting, but at $60 felt I would let you remain the librarian. I have numerous fitting issues, in particular the arms, but strangely I do not recall this so much in my formative years where I cut my sewing teeth on Mum's vintage patterns. I have decided this year to re-ignite my love of vintage style, and so have ordered some Decades of Style patterns. I am hoping that they will bring me more success in my sewing endeavours, as I am struggling right now. Your blouse is divine - I have always loved the appearance of seams on sheer fabrics, and it looks like you have done a beautiful job. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Evanabella - How strange that you came across the same book - and yes, $60-00 is expensive, especially when you can get such good reproductions of old books sometimes that are cheaper. I think my sister uses Decades of Style patterns - she has trouble with fitting her arms as well (she is different in build from me). I have heard a number of people say that the older patterns used to fit better, so I wonder what has happened. And Evanabella, everyone struggles - it is through the struggles that you get somewhere. Have you done much sewing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah Liz, well, have been sewing for thirty odd years, since teen years. I never realised how well I did sew. I have had a hiatus of over 15 years (family) and now am returning to sewing but it is all so different - fabrics, patterns, customs and body shape - I think I have a confidence crisis really. And scant funding for mock-ups which puts on the pressure. But am determined. Will keep you.informed on the Decades of style experiment. if I can work out this blog technology (2 days to join and post a comment and the avatar has disappeared!) Cheers!

      Delete
  12. Again, great job Sarah! I love that you chose a pin-tuck as the fabric option. That certainly added an element of creativity. I hope it does well in the contest. I also appreciated your personal criteria for garments. That's an important consideration--how many other things it will go with. Looks like you're ready for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mocha, thank you for all your lovely comments. Yes, I am looking forward to your challenge - and to everyone sharing their skills and talents. :)

      Delete
  13. Crisp, sleek, and chic, Sarah! You achieved an impressive fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather - this contest was a good opportunity to make just such a blouse.

      Delete
    2. Love the top, has a very nice fit!

      Delete