Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

2013 Style the Stash Sew-A-Long Starts June


The 2013 Style The Stash Sew-A-Long will start on 1st June and run until 31st December 2013.

 This is planned to be a low key, fun, interactive sew-a-long where we all try and help each other make lovely garments out of our stashes.

As the Sew-A-Long will run for 7 months that will give us lots of options to use both summer and winter fabrics from our stash (unless you live in the tropics, of course).  And a festive season as well.

*****

Unlike other sew-a-longs there will be no pledges to use a certain amount of your stash as this is always doomed to fail - just like those resolutions at new year, or the "I will only eat healthy foods for two weeks" and then falling helplessly in the path of a stray chocolate.  Yes, we stash-a-holics know that we can't just stick to stash for too long, because  next piece of gorgeous fabric always  happens to derail our good intentions.

This is to be, therefore, a totally guilt free, pleasure only, stash busting sew-a-long.  Of course, if all you want to do is sew stash, then that is okay as well - if you want to commit to that then that goal will be supported.

And it is quite understood that you may well want to purchase fabrics  and make clothes outside this stash sew-a-long and that's okay too.  This is more about stash awareness and making sure the stash gets a look in as well!  And to motivate you to sew, sew, sew....


*****

It would be lovely to get to know each other and find out about our stashes and our sewing plans - after all, a stash is a wondrous thing to dream about our gorgeous stylish wardrobe that we are going to have one day - if we could only get around to sewing that stash.  So, please post a comment with your plans - or email me, stylishsarah251@gmail.com and I'll put them in a blog post - if you want to do this of course.  If you would prefer to keep your plans private, then that is okay too :-)  Or, if your plans are subject to daily changes of plan (as mine often are), we will all quite understand!  That's the nature of the sewjo sometimes.

*****



This Sew-A-Long is planned to be interactive, so each week I will put up a post so that we can communicate about our stash sewing or our frustrations or any other sort of sewing chit chat.  We have participants from all over the world so it would be lovely to take the time to get to know each other.

*****



2013 STYLE THE STASH SEW-A-LONG GUIDELINES

Some Sew-A-Longs have monthly guidelines and deadlines. While some people find this helpful, a lot of us find that it also creates pressure as sewing is often used as a stress reducer in some people - it's our own space and time, so it's nice to keep the pace relaxed.  And, sometimes the month starts without you starting the project, and inevitably life intervenes before the deadline.  And we "fail" again.

None of that here.  There will be no such thing as failure :-)

But guidelines do help keep us anchored so:


1.  Every month- plan to make a garment from your stash.  If you really have a sewjo moment, make  more items in a month!

2.  If an item is unfinished for that month - don't worry about it, just finish it the next month.

3.  If for some reason you can't make a garment a month, stay involved and just make what you can when you can.

4.  Post your garment when it is completed and let me know - I'll organise a gallery of everyone's work.

*****

Every month I will suggest garments to make.  These will be suggestions only.  You can make anything you want of course - its your stash, your sewing and your style that is important and keeping your motivated to working towards your stash goals.  


Some ideas to  think about making from your stash:

*Coordinated Capsule Wardrobe - 3 tops, 2 bottoms, and a jacket/cardigan to layer over it.

*Skirt, Pants, Blouse, Jacket, Dress, Accessories, Xmas/Festive/Thanksgiving/Holiday/New Year outfit

*Something colourful, something with stripes/geometric pattern, something floral.

*Sundress, Beach Wear, Casual Outfit, Jeans, Nighties/loungewear, Children's clothes

*Black and White outfit

*Little Black Dress

* Knitted Fabric garment

*Accessories.

*Home furnishings

*Craft Items

* Xmas gift
 CURRENT LIST OF PARTICIPANTS:
 
Far from http://farsland.blogspot.com
Judy from http://sewblessedmaw.blogspot.com
Jenny from http://jennysews2.blogspot.com
Janine from http://janines-sewingspree.blogspot.com
Faye from http://fayessewingadventure.blogspot.com
Mrs Smith  from http://sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Dk's wife from http://howzenful.blogspot.com
Ellen from http:// lnsews.blogspot.com
Mary from http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com
Judith at http://doobee64.blogspot.com
L, at http:// yousewgirl.blogspot.com
Beata at  http://redpointtailor.wordpress.com
Angelathecreativediva at http://riange.blogspot.com

Juanita at http:// I-love-to-sew.blogspot.com
Dorothy Dot Dot at http://sewingfunthings.blogspot.com
Beverly at http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com
Towanda at http:// lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com
Hana at http://velvetribbonsew.blogspot.com
Jacq C at http://agoodtalkingto.blogspot.com

Kathy S - do you have a blog Kathy?  I f not you can email any ideas, comments or pictures to me at stylishsarah251@gmail.com.

If I have missed anyone out, or spelt your name incorrectly, or have not got your blog address correct,  please let me know.

And if you would like to join as well, or have some suggestions, please let me know.

Sarah Liz :-)

30 comments:

  1. Hurray-I really need a group sew along to stay motivated!! I have made a small file with my plans and the list of participants. My blog is a bit more philosophical than just sewing, but I do try to include wardrobe plans. I'll add in a post and some adverts for this sew along.

    The link below contains some of my spring sewing plan. Scroll through to the pics of fabric and line drawings.
    http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/san-francisco-reflections.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary - A blog is whatever you want it to be, it's personal, it's a reflection of you, and it's great that you write about your other interests as well...

      I'll look at your plans this evening. And thanks for putting the word out in case others want to jo

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! I'm really excited about this sew along. I have a ginormous stash and I'd really like to sew some things from it. The best plan for me will be to make small wardrobe capsules of 5 or 6 garments. I think I can handle that. I'll share my goals with you soon. Thank you so much for inspiring this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L, I think a few of us will be making wardrobe capsules - I plan to as well. A small capsule is do-able, unlike the grandiose plans we sometimes tend to make.

      I'm glad you have a ginormous stash - and this is going to be a great sew-a-long. I'll put a post on Sew Your Own Wardrobe for a Year Challenge this week to let everyone know - might motivate them to get their sewjo moving!

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to this sew-along too. It'll be fun talking about our stashes & sharing the projects we make. I plan to start with a tablecloth, then a maxi-dress, some summer tops & a skirt. But, who knows how much of this I'll actually get done ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley - isn't it always the case that we don't make as much as we plan, lol's. I know the feeling well. I'm hoping we do all share our plans with each other -that's part of the fun.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to be part of this sew along. I have a huge stash that I have been shopping from this year. My goals are to make 4-6 piece garment wardrobe capsules so that I don't end up with orphan garments. This sew along with help to keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Towanda, well done for shoppiong from your stash - maybe we can adopt that phrase? I think that is a great idea to make a capsule wardrobe - sewers/sewists do tend to have lots of orphan garments otherwise. Glad to help with the motivation :-)

      Delete
  5. Im Looking Forward To The Sew A Long. Your Body Shape Style guide Posts Have Been Very Helpful, And
    SomethIng I Will Try My Best TO Keep In Mind when I Start Planning For my Makes During The Sew A Long.. :) It Will Be So Nice To Have A Group Of You To Share This JourneY With :)
    P/s: Don't Mind My Jumbled Font...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far, I don't mind your jumbled font at all Far - I always know its you, lol's. It will be nice to have a group, and this is a nice compact group, so we should all get to know each other well.

      Glad the posts have been useful - another one for you later this week :-)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, That's True. Whatever It Is That's Wrong With My Phone Comments? ItDoesnt Do Thi When Commenting/ Posting On Fb Tho. Weird!

      It's Super Helpful! Look Fwd To The Petite Post.Lol. Im 5'4", Borderline Petite No? Stuff I've Been Wearinng Made me Look Petiter Lol. Ive Started To Wear Shoes With Heels Again After Running.Around In Flats/ Crocs since Pregnant With The Bean!

      Delete
    3. That's technology for you lol's. Yes, I agree, borderline petite. I always say though, that as you get bigger in life to use some of the petite ideas because they also make you look taller. And the whole idea is to wear things that minimise a minimise the mid section if it is a little unruly, so you are doing well. Flats are so comfy aren't they - and it sounds as though you really enjoy Bean - that's lovely :-)

      Delete
  6. Ok, I'm ready. So when we finish a garment do we email the information/pictures to you to post, or will there be a separate blog where we will post things???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye, I thnk we are all ready, so I don't suppose it matters if you start now! A head start is always a good thing! I've set an official date so I can sort out all the admin details such as how to post. I'll put this on the next update, due in a week. If you want to email me at any time, stylishsarah251@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. June is getting close.. I am so ready for this sew along.. I love the no pressure too.. Great ideas.
    I have already started pulling out fabrics ,that I want to work with.. I would like to make a garment a week or two. [some of these would be for my grandchildren too]..
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, yes June is getting close - looks like a few of us are getting fabrics and plans together - I am as well. I hope you do get a garment made every week - that will get us all moving as well, lol's.
      I'm glad we have a nice group starting :)

      Delete
  8. I'm in Liz!!! This is awesome.!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalea - glad you are in - I'll post on the Wardrobe Challenge to let everyone know.

      Delete
  9. Hi Liz, just one little correction on my blog. You just got an extra "s" in it. It's not lnssews.blogspot.com, but, rather, lnsews.blogspot.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen, thanks for letting me know - sometimes eyes see double. All corrected.

      Delete
  10. I'd love to get in on this. I've been on sewing hiatus for a while, but truth be told, I need to get at it again. My budget being what it is, it will have to be using my stash. It would be great to have some incentive to actual follow through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie - I think that's a great idea to use the stash you have before spending more on fabric - and we all have a hiatus from time to time. Just ease back in...

      Delete
  11. This is exactly what my plan for this year is... to sew up as much of the 9 bins of stuff-purchased-with-the-intent-to-sew-clothing. Count me in. (Well, at least until Quilting Season in the Fall) appliqueaddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marjorie - I wonder who has the biggest stash in the our sew-a-long group? You're in until the quilts (and still in if you want to sew one or two garments as well as quilts - anyway, if you use stash for quilts - that's okay as well!)

      Delete
  12. I so need this in my life! Another box of about 20 yards just came in yesterday from FabricMart and another 15 or so are expected from my favorite easy seller. Capsule sewing is a must for me as I never have a complete outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawnta - fantastic - I do hope you manage to get a small capsule made - a few of us will be sewing capsules. Start small...

      Delete
  13. Hi Sarah, I'm excited. I'm still new sewista and I have stoped buying clothes so I can self sustain myself. Looking forward to challenging myself and seeing eveyone succeed too. Bring It On....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I'm so please you are joining us - I've just put the blog for this event up. Look forward to seeing your creations - and congrats for learning to sew..

      Delete
  14. Hi Sarah, I'm excited. I'm still new sewista and I have stoped buying clothes so I can self sustain myself. Looking forward to challenging myself and seeing eveyone succeed too. Bring It On....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I think this is a duplicate post - you are excited :)

      Delete