Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Inspired by the Movies - A Little Black and White Tee...

I was in two minds about this contest until I visited www.stylist.co.uk/fashion/45-iconic-fashion-films.  This site was listed on the contest discussion as a place to find ideas.  I decided I would enter this contest after seeing this image of Jean Seberg - from the French Neo Realist Film "Breathless".

from: www.stylist.co.uk/fashion/45-iconic-fashion-films.

Now Jean Seberg circa 1960s gamim I am not:


I do find that classic black and white tees very handy though.  And as some of you know, I am trying to learn to sew with knits at the moment.  They all seem to handle so differently.  So this contest seemed an ideal opportunity to stretch my knowledge, and the inspiration to make up a piece of black and white knit in my stash was too hard to resist.

I used Kwik Sew3766:

I cut size small (and yes, I did make a muslin first - I always check a new pattern with a muslin):


The muslin was a cheap polyester knit- there were wrinkles radiating down from the neckband to arm, but I thought this had much to do with the plastic rigid nature of this cheap fabric.

The final garment looks nice and is not wrinkling nearly as much:
 

This was an exercise in sewing knits so I will show you the sewing:



I usually anchor a neckband down when I sew a stretch band on - I thought this did not look good with this sharp fabric - so I took the stitching out :


Which on this fabric is a much nicer finish - it looks sharp and crisp, just like the stripes.


The inside stitching looks neat - I'm a bit of a stickler for garments looking as good inside as out - see above.


And this one does - above is the inside, and below the outside:


The only real problem I had was with the hem - it just wanted to stretch and stretch.  After numerous sample runs, I decided the solution was to "band" the hem - which means I just turned it up and overlocked the hem allowance on so that it functions as a band:

The finished result works quite well:


The hem is now a separate band - it looks quite good and solved the problem :)

The arms are also hemmed in the same fashion.

So, one finished little black and white t-shirt:



Unfortunately, there is quite a strobe effect happening in this picture - in real life it looks beautiful on.  And feels lovely on.  I'll try and get DH to take a photo one day, when we both have some time.



This little pattern was a gem - it fits nicely and it looks good.  It is going to go into my TNT pile:)

Sarah Liz






43 comments:

  1. I'm looking over your shoulder because in a few hours I'll start making my first knit shirt. Yours looks nice! In the Craftsy course on sewing with knits Steam a seam is used on the hems first to prevent stretching while you stitch. I'm going to try it, and use a twin needle too. On a cheap knit, so fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Marianne - I am learning that there is lots to learn about knits - so I will also be watching your progress. This fabric was almost a rib, so I don't think steam a seam would have worked.

      Delete
  2. Lovely top Sarah Liz, classic stripes - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for having a TNT tee shirt pattern. That's something you can make up quickly and in every color you want, not just what is popular in the stores.

    The black and white stripe looks great. Beautiful inside too - thanks for the peek at it.

    Steam a seam in the hem before stitching is an excellent suggestion. If you don't have any, try stretch interfacing. Anything to give the hem some weight and stability is helpful in staving off the waviness that knit hems are prone to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I agree, it is wonderful having a TNT tee pattern :)

      Delete
  4. Just lovely sarah! i do so love black and White stripes! (I have some in my stash). i agree that Steam-a-Seam works really well behind the hems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana - must investigate this steam- a -seam :)

      Delete
  5. Great tshirt!! Love the stripes and your inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice t-shirt and fabric! The neckline finished beautifully. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Audrey Hepburn move over!! You look so sleek and French, ready for coffee on the East Bank. Fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda - my husband took me to Paris once and commented you seem to belong here :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't done the steam a seam successfully, but a walking foot has done wonderful for me. I have also let it stretch and then steam/press it back to shape after stitching. I love working with knits.
    I like your solution to band. Your shirt looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get out my walking foot and try it. I find it handy to have a number of solutions up one's sewing sleeve :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely. Knit tops are on my 'someday soon' list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I'm with you, I like the inside to be as pretty as the outside :-) Your top is lovely. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. good looking T-shirt which I am sure you'll get a lot of wear from.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very smart top ~ and the inside is just as well made as the outside! Well done ... J

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great knit top! It looks very nice on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! A classy, classic top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely top, Sarah Liz. Black & white stripes are so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice top. It does look good inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely stripped top and the love how it looks both inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Classic! Tres chic! It's so hard to take a clear photo of stripes. But the closeups are wonderful, and the knit tips are really useful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic!! You always nail it perfectly, Sarah :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a lovely top! Your band finish is so clever--I can't wait to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete