Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

A New T-Shirt...New Look 6216 modified #1


I'm finally getting back to some sewing - and as I decided it was time to learn knits during the first bit of this year, I decided to finish earlier ideas that I was playing with.  I was using New Look 6216 and playing around with the dolman sleeve top.

Here is the pattern:


View A (bottom right corner) is a dolman sleeve top - and I have previously made a muslin.  Thank  goodness, because the body was huge and the sleeves were tight and did not stretch.

This is why I make muslins out of old bits of fabric or cheap bits of fabric.  I would not wear the above top in any situation.  I also couldn't move my arms in it - and I have thin arms, so goodness knows how it works on ladies with larger arms.

I played around with the pattern and removed two inches from the bodice.  I also shortened the sleeves until I worked out how to solve the dolman problem:


And came up with the above shape.  Which I liked.  So I wanted to make a t-shirt like this.

(I had already previously altered the neckline as the boat neckline would have fallen off my shoulders and shown my bra straps - not a look I like)

I like the length of the sleeves above, but I didn't have a suitable fabric to make this t-shirt - it's now on the list!  So I decided to use this pattern and modify it more to suit the slightly cooler days we will get and to suit the fabric I had.

I added a sleeve band to add a bit of length and some warmth.  But not too much warmth as the days will still warm up.

So, here it is with the sleeve bands:

The fabric is a soft, drapey poly cotton mix (I think, it was one of Spotlight's job lots, but it handles like a poly cotton, and also wrinkles a bit, so I suspect cotton.  The burn test indicated it had natural content).  Recently purchased and stashed!

The fabric is a different from the white knit of the muslin, so the hang of the t-shirt is a little different as well.

I am still getting the hang of sewing knits, and did have a slight pucker around the hem, but I think this will improve after washing and ironing.  Anyway, in everyday action, no-one will notice:


I'm trying out taking photo's outside and learning to work with the camera.  I have to pretend I'm actually acting  (yes, I have a Drama degree as well as having been a Registered Nurse) and that this is not really me.  I find that works :).  I never had a problem being directed, but have had a problem directing myself in photos!

Okay, here is the action,

One:


Two:
Three:

Four:


That's all of that series.  Phewww!!

I'm glad actually I have a creative side to me, because it has always made my life easier if I have had to make difficult decisions as I have recently done.  I have an inside wellspring I can draw on to make tedious times better.  I'm still working through the process of my decision at the moment (it takes time, of course, working through a life transition), but things will work out in the end. 

I hope you are all enjoying your sewing as well :)

Sarah Liz

P.S. - For those of you interested in colour - this colour suits me - you can see that it blends well with my skintone.  This is a softer, muted colour, still quite rich - a colour that suits someone who is a summer - which I am.   I still like the seasonal approach, but then I was a classic summer - not a light, muted or soft summer (or for those of you that know the tonal, a light, a muted, or a cool tone) so the summer colours are spot on for me.

P.P.S. - And can I get the dolman top to work ? - I will be trying to answer that question with my next t-shirt make :)







38 comments:

  1. That Picture Series Is Awesome! & I LovE.the.Tshirt.Color And Shape On U Too. I Just Made A Knit Tshirt (Lengthened) In That Same Color Las Month.. Among OtherS. Must Photograph.And Post.Soon, Which Im Not.a.Fan Of... Fancy U Have A Drama Degree! Lol Sarah Liz, U Are Indeed A Lady With Many Talents/Skills :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Far - I agree, the taking the pictures and posting is a little tedious sometimes :) Looking forward to seeing yours soon

      Delete
  2. Had to laugh at your first attempt at this ~ that is one mighty large top on your little frame! But you have definitely worked out the fit perfectly on the fuschia version - perfect length, perfect arm length, and perfect colour. Knits are definitely your new 'thing' ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith - yes, this worked out, but I still have lots to learn :)

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful on you and I like all of the poses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done 2 dolman sleeve tops before, one was the free pattern by cation design and the other was a Lekala top that had very wide arms. For me in the end the Lekala top worked better (in fact I am debating whether to make another one soon) I think you can make it work, the top looks very good to me. Alternatively you could always try the free plantain top from deer & doe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I saw your Lekala - they are lovely patterns. The plantain is nice too - on my list, thank you :)

      Delete
  5. I think you have perfected the fit of this top. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your top looks great. I like the sleeve length and the beautiful colour. That's one of my colours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - yes, cool colours suit you nicely :)

      Delete
  7. So nice SarahLiz! I really like the arm bands. And the fit and length are perfect. Fun action shots too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've nailed this top! The fit is perfect and I like the sleeve bands. You are right, this color suits you well and your outdoor photos are lovely. After having just made this as a tunic top myself, I think the choice of fabric has a lot (everything?!) to do with this top and it needs a 'drapey' fabric to hang well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I quite agree - I've made quite a few variations now, and I think a knit that drapes is the key. It's always good to play around to get a feel of what fabric works for what sorts of shapes and styles - knowledge for future garments :)

      Delete
  9. That colour looks really lovely on you Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarahliz.. I laughed at your former muslin.. Quiet big body for such small sleeves.. ---I can't imagine that pattern , fitting anyone.lol
    You corrected the pattern, and it looks lovely on you. the color is perfect. and the fit is too.
    Love, love the outside photos..great job..
    Praying for your decision. and I know it takes time to come to terms with life's changes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, no, on pattern review people commented on the poor fit of this version of the t-shirt. The short sleeve version seemed to be alright though, largish, but passable. And thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  11. That muslin could not get any worse! I love the result of your hard work, and the outside shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous colour on you and very impressed you got the dolman sleeves to fit, a lovely top all round. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great t-shirt and color! Very nicely done and love the pictures as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great colour and top. I'm a summer too. What a muslin, though! I liked the colour of that too but I can't think who the pattern was intended for! I'm sure you can make it work though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne, yes, it is a strange top - I have seen variations on this line in other companies - big baggy tops over leggings. Not quite me!

      Delete
  15. This is a wonderful color on you, very vibrant! Your photos turned out great too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking t-shirt. I'm glad you found the right cut on this t-shirt. I like the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't it weird how the body of the shirt was ginormous, but the sleeves were tight? How is that even possible? I like the vibrant color and your fix to the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, seriously strange shape - I can't work out why the arms are so narrow - on most people they would be far too tight, especially in a one way knit.

      Delete