Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Summertime and the Living is Easy


 Here is this weeks garment - a loose dress for wearing around the house on hot summer nights when you just want something big and baggy to throw on after a shower.  I used Burda 7066:


This is a loose A-Line dress that you just pull on over the head - simple and straightforward sewing.  Even though the dress is not much more than a simple bag, I did make a calico to see how the neckline sat as it looked quite wide and deep on the pattern envelope (I made view B).

I used a furnishing cotton from Spotlight, which is not high quality, but works well for these simple garments.  It's not heavy weight, just a nice lightweight cotton with a bit of body (mostly from the screen printed stripes).

Not a pretty sight, but here is is:


Not very inspirational is it?  A piece of old sheet never looks very elegant.  But it does tell me that the sleeve length is fine as I cut them the finished length, the waist position is fine, and the neck is fine as it is.  However, don't forget there is a seam allowance attached, so if it is fine as it is, it needs a seam allowance extra added, if that makes sense!  As for length, this was the length of the leftover piece of sheet, and not the planned length.

I altered the pattern then by adding 5/8 inch (1.5 cm) to the neck edge, and adding length to the hem.  Luckily this was a multi-sized pattern to size 24 - I just drew the size 24 hemline as my hemline.  I don't always measure, preferring often to work by sight.  I also added pockets in the side seams.  I did not add belt loops, as I prefer to sit my belt where I feel like it should sit on the day.

For those of you wanting to make this dress, the arms are quite slim - so if you are larger in the arm than me, do make sure the pattern piece fits you.

Now let's look at the bag- whoops,  I mean smart house dress:


As I said, nice and cool and roomy.  The hemline is even, I am just standing with my right shoulder a little down in this picture.

The next picture  shows you the roomy A-Line shape and the pocket placements:


A side view- there are slits at the sides of the dress for movement (complete with my signature button):


 And the back view:


 The pattern also included a belt, so I made that as well - I thought that would make the dress a bit smarter- it might even get worn to the supermarket:



And the back view with belt:


I think this dress is a great success and has quite a future.  It was an economical make, with the fabric costing $10.99.  The pattern cost $5.00 and was purchased especially for this project.  Add a bit of interfacing, thread and serger thread, so AU $20.00 will well and truly cover this dress.

*****
I did hope to make two of these dresses this week as I am on semester break.  I have, though, neglected lots of things over the last few weeks, so there was some catching up to do, at home and at the practice.  So dress #2 will happen next week.

  I also decided it was time to start the style transition that I talked about some posts back.  So now I have a smart little bob - there is still some growing out of layers to do, especially at the front, but I think this cut suits me nicely.  I feel more like me, so I think that is a good indication that I am on the right track :)
To everyone, I hope you are happy and healthy, take care,

Sarah Liz :)

27 comments:

  1. Dress = good.

    LOVE the new hairstyle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice dress. I like it with the belt because it shows off your slim waistline! Neat new hairdo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your new hairstyle too! You look great! I like this dress, particularly with the belt, you could definitely wear it to the grocery or errands about. Breezy, lots-of-room dresses are the way to go on those hot, humid summer days/evenings and you will be comfortable wearing this 'round the house too. Smart in figuring out how to get more mileage out of this one dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, you have to work out how to get the most out of clothes :)

      Delete
  4. My kinda summer dress--loose, comfy, cool! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that lovely haircut. The back is so cute. These dresses are nice and the stripped one is so multifunctional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am all about roomy and breezy in the hot summer weather-this dress will certainly be useful. I love it with the belt as it plays to your slender figure. Nice haircut!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great for summer. Just what is needed. Now all we need is the weather to warm up. Great haircut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we just - and the rain to stop for a while. Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Love your new hair cut.. and that house dress is great.. I love loose/comfy dresses for the hot summer days... And I like that you made the belt too-- great for the little ventures out that always come up, when we plan a stay at home day.ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, it's always best to be prepared isn't it :)

      Delete
  9. Both the hairstyle and the dress are perfect for the quickly approaching hot days of summer ~ at least you will be well prepared in time ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will, first year I will ever have been ready and waiting!

      And thank you...

      Delete
  10. I like the dress worn with the belt better. Lovely new hairstyle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do look great. I'm a belt-fan myself. But when it's hot, leave the belt home:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Comfy dress! Looks good with tie belt for a more dressier look, for around the house without it. Like the hairstyle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so smart! Comfy dress for around the house-add a belt and you're ready to walk out the door. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - getting the mix of smart and casual all at once is not an easy task :)

      Delete
  14. This dress will be perfect for the summer. Breezy and easy. Good luck with catching up on things before you are back to hitting the books!

    ReplyDelete