Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

New Summer Stash Top - Vogue 1390



This week I made a little top; it was quick and simple to make and used up some bits of stash that had long annoyed me.  I mean, why did I buy 80cms of about 100 wide fine hanky linen?  It's been in my stash for a couple of decades, so I can only assume it was when I was paying a mortgage, and that this was on a sale table.  Still, what did I think I would make out of that??  

I decided this pattern might just be useful to deal with this piece of stash:

 
Sandra Betzina Dress, Vogue 1390


 I want to make the dress one day, so I decided that I would trial this pattern in a top first - that way, I could kill two birds with one stone.  For View A, I had just enough linen to make the yoke and centre panels, but I would have to put a small seam in the back yoke.  Easy.  I needed to find something in my scrap stash for the side panels and found some cheesecloth.  And I needed lining, and had an old dress lining (voile) salvaged and stashed for years, and other bits of voile leftovers for the bodice and bias arm bindings.  Project materials, tick.

I made a muslin, which I forgot to photograph on me, but it worked:


I used size 12, as that is the closest to my bust measurement. There is a lot of ease, but I thought this would be perfect for a summer loose top, so kept the ease - summer here is so hot and humid, baggy is best.

And then the sewing began - it was only a few pieces with no fitting or fastenings to slow things down.  I did raise the neck a little bit as most necklines swim on me - I just altered the seam allowance to 3/8 inch.  I also did not trim back the hemline at the sleeves as I like as much cap sleeve coverage as possible.

Enough words, here's the pictures:

1.  I both interfaced and stay stitched the neckline - Sandra B says one or the other, but on a stretch neckline I like both.


 2.  Cheesecloth is crinkly and stretches, so I stayed the pieces on a piece of voile selvage cut to the width of the pattern piece:

3.  The side insert panel - it's quite strange - it's just a straight piece and the front and back panels provide the curving.  I used the cheesecloth for these panels - I also top stitched them, as I like that look and it holds the seam in place.


4.  See what I mean about the front and back panels providing the curve - this is how the armhole sits:


5.  The lining:


6. The top - I'm afraid my outside photos are too exposed, so I have taken a picture on a hanger inside so that you can see the contrast panels:


And the outside, over exposed ones - but you will get the general idea of the shape and fit at least:

And the side panels - you can't see them in the photo's above, the light just takes them out:

(That's almost a creative shot from me, must do more of them :)

The armholes are quite low, but again, in summer, they will be cool.  You can't see my bra, so that is okay.

It looks nice with trousers as well:

Finally a me made wardrobe is coming together - both the skirt and the trousers are me mades!  The skirt is my TNT, I think it was a McCalls skirt ( I just use the tracing, and I'm not sure which pattern it was), and the pants (my second pair, these are black, the others on this post are navy and  are Butterick 5687. )

I'm so pleased I have made up this annoying stash into something beautiful and wearable.

Only because I wanted to, not because I have a competitive desire to enter these things :)

Have a great weekend everyone, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz :)



45 comments:

  1. Very dainty and pretty - I bet it will be perfect in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideal for the hot & humid summers in northern NSW. A very pretty blouse, it is lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for your hot summers. Great use of stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely top - very creative use of such a challenging small piece of fabric. I know what you mean about stash that is hanging around that long .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and sometimes stash has a good way of reminding you of how old you are :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh that's a nice, cool looking top!

    And I really love it with the trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is an unusual pattern, and looks much better on than in the drawings. I love that you made it into a top -- it looks great on you and perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a pattern that needs to be made up to be appreciated.

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  7. I like this as a top, and the fabric choices make it even more summery. Really nice Sarah Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone, this top is perfect for summer! It looks good with skirt and trousers.
    Have a lovely weekend to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant top for summer ~ great combination with both the skirt and pants! And bonus points for it coming from the stash ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it - you must make one..

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  10. What an interestingly detailed top. Love those side panels. Take it away from ordinary. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The panels are nice - without being too obvious.

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  11. Your top looks very comfy and cool! Hope you get to wear it lots this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the side panels. The shape is very flattering on you. I agree that ometimes it's difficult to get all the details in a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a flattering shape - I'm a little like you in shape.

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  13. Pretty, cool top I like the mix of fabrics. What a great bonus to have been able to use up small pieces of stash fabrics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Tracy, I love to clear up bits and pieces :)

      Delete
  14. This is gorgeous, Sarah Liz, I love white linen anything! You will get a lot of wear out of it this summer. Mixing fabrics is fun, and adds a dash of creativity too. Not to mention being up with the fashions. I don't have this pattern, and now I wonder why...must rectify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it would suit you, from the very rare glimpses (only one I think) that I have had of you :)

      Delete
  15. Perfect summer top.. It will be perfect for the hot summer months. You will get lots of use from it..Looks great on you with both pants and skirt..
    Usually the basics are the best sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - I agree, basics are the clothes we actually wear, and we can make smart basics as well as more robust house garments :)

      Delete
  16. I love it paired with the pants! I can't believe you are able to find any time to sew!! But it must feel good to sit down at the machine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda - I find I have to sew a little every day just to relax - so long as you don't force yourself to work to deadlines, you can get a lot done :)

      Delete
  17. The detail on side is amazing. Very fresh. Perfect for summer. Hope you are enjoying you break from uni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - and yes, I am going to, only there is work also to catch up with - life!!

      Delete
  18. This is really pretty -- love the all-white fabric combination, how great to use up that stash :) I was wondering about this pattern, but now I want it, as I love it the way you've made it as a top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will also find the shape of these patterns good too - Sandra Betzina uses different measurements to the standard, that are more similar to the average body nowadays.

      Delete
  19. Gorgeous little top and the cheesecloth side panels really do make it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute top! I particularly like it with the pants, very nice look.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely top. It looks gorgeous. I'm sure you will get plenty of wear in summer, it looks lovely and cool. Can't wait to see the dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy - the dress will be in a few weeks :)

      Delete
  22. Cute and cool for summer! Looks nice with both skirt and pants. The side details make it unique.

    ReplyDelete