This week I made a little top; it was quick and simple to make and used up some bits of stash that had long annoyed me. I mean, why did I buy 80cms of about 100 wide fine hanky linen? It's been in my stash for a couple of decades, so I can only assume it was when I was paying a mortgage, and that this was on a sale table. Still, what did I think I would make out of that??
I decided this pattern might just be useful to deal with this piece of stash:
|Sandra Betzina Dress, Vogue 1390|
I want to make the dress one day, so I decided that I would trial this pattern in a top first - that way, I could kill two birds with one stone. For View A, I had just enough linen to make the yoke and centre panels, but I would have to put a small seam in the back yoke. Easy. I needed to find something in my scrap stash for the side panels and found some cheesecloth. And I needed lining, and had an old dress lining (voile) salvaged and stashed for years, and other bits of voile leftovers for the bodice and bias arm bindings. Project materials, tick.
I made a muslin, which I forgot to photograph on me, but it worked:
I used size 12, as that is the closest to my bust measurement. There is a lot of ease, but I thought this would be perfect for a summer loose top, so kept the ease - summer here is so hot and humid, baggy is best.
And then the sewing began - it was only a few pieces with no fitting or fastenings to slow things down. I did raise the neck a little bit as most necklines swim on me - I just altered the seam allowance to 3/8 inch. I also did not trim back the hemline at the sleeves as I like as much cap sleeve coverage as possible.
Enough words, here's the pictures:
1. I both interfaced and stay stitched the neckline - Sandra B says one or the other, but on a stretch neckline I like both.
2. Cheesecloth is crinkly and stretches, so I stayed the pieces on a piece of voile selvage cut to the width of the pattern piece:
3. The side insert panel - it's quite strange - it's just a straight piece and the front and back panels provide the curving. I used the cheesecloth for these panels - I also top stitched them, as I like that look and it holds the seam in place.
4. See what I mean about the front and back panels providing the curve - this is how the armhole sits:
And the outside, over exposed ones - but you will get the general idea of the shape and fit at least:
The armholes are quite low, but again, in summer, they will be cool. You can't see my bra, so that is okay.
It looks nice with trousers as well:
the others on this post are navy and are Butterick 5687. )
I'm so pleased I have made up this annoying stash into something beautiful and wearable.
Only because I wanted to, not because I have a competitive desire to enter these things :)
Have a great weekend everyone, wherever you are.
Sarah Liz :)