Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Pants from the Past

I have not had much time to sew this week so I have decided to post a pair of pants I made last year.  I did not have time to take pictures of them on me then, so thought today was a good opportunity to do so..

Before I do, though, I just want to mention that Hana from  velvetribbonsew nominated me for the wonderful BLOG HOP that is being enjoyed by our sewing community.  Thank you Hana, I'll do a post soon and acknowledge you again.

Back to the pants!

The pattern is Butterick 5687.

 Butterick Misses' Cape, Jacket, Skirt and Pants 5687

I made the shorter pants on the far right, bottom. I cut size 8 hips and size 12ish waist.  I did not need any other alterations - these trousers actually just worked for me! (I did make a muslin, of course, to check).

The fabric used is a cotton drill.

And there are pockets in the side seams - I made these from poly cotton poplin, as I did not want to add bulk.


The pants come up to the waist, but that is what I like - I am a rectangle shape (not much difference between bust, waist and hips) and as you can see, if I had a lower rise pant, they would slide right down as I don't have the wider hips that stop that happening!  As I don't show my waist anyway, this doesn't bother me.  I like tops that sit over my waistband, and if they are shaped, even better to add the illusion of a figure!


So, just a nice pair of casual summer gaucho pants, culottes or whatever you want to call them.

And the back view of the pants looks good as well - as you can see, for once, a nice fit over the bottom!

Which can't be said for the RTW t-shirt - just look at the wrinkles - my back is straight and narrow, so fabric just pools in the middle - not an easy problem to fix with fitting, but I've mostly worked out what to do - I've only seen one book that has actually said what to do for this problem .

That's it for today - a short post, but I am really tired (and it shows in these pictures - never mind, a good sleep tonight should sort that out!) - I finished my last assignment yesterday, and just have to add some attachments tomorrow, last edit (DH did the proof reading and some great editing for me), and then, that's it..

SEWING TIME AHEAD!!!!

Sarah Liz

14 comments:

  1. Nice looking pants, Sarah Liz. They fit you really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect summer pants, and last assignment in!! Yay for summer, Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that look on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fitting pants.. Look nice.. Hope your school work is going good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and I finished school today :)

      Delete
  5. Perfect fitting pants for summer! It suits you so nicely :) I am sure your Blog Hop post will be great, can not wait to read them.
    P.S. I know you have been busy with school work, so take your time to write them.
    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - and yes, I will take my time, it's a great honour to be asked to join the Blog Hop.

      You take care too :)

      Delete
  6. Nice!! I'm glad you decided to post these. I was looking for a pair like this, I had seen shopping. they had 2 1/2" cuffs. Great look!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great transitional season pants. I love your title too -- sounds as if there is some haunting going on but these pants couldn't haunt, they are too wonderful!

    ReplyDelete