My first idea was that I would make black linen pants. Then I decided to refine some of my pants making techniques first before I start making pants in more expensive materials. So I made the above pants in cotton broadcloth, originally purchased from Spotlight and virtuously shopped from my stash.
I was going to make this pattern:
As I needed the pants yesterday, so to speak, I decided to revisit Burda 6985, and put the above pattern on the back-burner for now. I'll revisit in a few week's time.
I managed to get these to fit me a tiny bit better than my earlier versions (which you can find here
and here. ) (looking at these posts again makes realise my sewing is slowly improving).
These were a standard make with the Burda stayed front. One problem I always have with making pants is how to finish off neatly. For ordinary wear pants I overlock (serge) - and going around concave (hollow) curves, the overlocking sometimes does not look neat and does not hug the fabric edge - it hangs off the edge by about 1/3. Which means it will pull and snag very easily and perhaps not do a good job of stopping fraying. There is no problem on the straight edges.
I also find that getting the crotch curve neatly overlocked after sewing and trimming close to the second seam similarly challenging. So I decided to use a thin nylon lace to bind these problem areas, and give a nice looking finish.
It's hard to show this in pictures when working with black, but here goes:
I made the pants full length and not 7/8ths length as in the pattern. Otherwise, I think I have got these to look quite like the pattern:
Now, that is the last photo of me in a camisole top on this post - not a good look, and modesty will prevail while I show you more views :). I just wanted to give you a view of the completed garment to show you what it looks like.
|Front view - pocket|
This was also my Make a Garment a Month chosen garment. Our theme was new - new pattern, new technique, a new sewing beginning, or just try something new. As my new pattern choice was not going to work, I tried a new technique with the lace binding. And of course, I have a new pair of pants that I really needed for summer wear.
If you want to join the Make a Garment a Month Group on Facebook, email email@example.com.
That's my first garment for 2015 complete. The Trousers I needed Yesterday can be worn Tomorrow :) .
Next week I think I will tackle a top - one technique I avoid is using bias binding as a neck edging or anywhere else for that matter.
Wishing you all, wherever you are, a happy and healthy week,