Pages

Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Remaining Plaid - now made into Vogue 9018.



Hello everyone,

My latest make is a rather rustic and homespun looking PollyAnna Practical meets Margaret Howell, but I rather like it! I'm wearing leggings and socks, but I think really, except for Autumn layering, I would  wear tights.  Except on those really homespun and cosy sort of days, of course.  I mean, Margaret Howell often puts socks on her models, quite unashamedly.

I am still a bit behind in replying to your comments but hope one day to be a little more disciplined again.is in transition in the SLSS household, so I am a bit preoccupied with what that will mean in practical terms.  I will tell you more next week. 

But for now, on with this weeks post:


Last week I showed you my recently made plaid shirt (post here):



The backstory - I had purchased a piece of cotton flannelette from Spotlight when it was on sale - $2.50 per metre.  I purchased 2.5 metres (150 wide).  After I made the shirt, I had a leftover 1 metre piece plus a piece about 25 wide by 60 long.  I don't like having leftovers that are not really big enough for much, because invariably they go to the bottom of the stash, never to be see the light of day again.  So I decided to use it. Rummaging though my patterns, I though I might just squeeze out a tunic dress or something.  When I spied Vogue 9018 I figured that I might just about squeeze the garment out:


I figured I never have anything to wear in Autumn, where it gets warm in the day, but cool in the afternoon and evening.  And so you take off and put on leggings as the day changes.  Plus, I never have the right garments for Me Made May, as I don't really focus much on transitional wear.  Or cold weather clothes, our season is not cold or long enough.  So I thought a layering piece might come in handy.

The first thing I noticed about this pattern was how shapeless it was - no darts of any sort.  And it was oneof those two size increment type of patterns.




I settled on size M with size S shoulders and neck.  I  wisely made a quick toile, which showed the garment to be as shapeless as I thought it would be.  While I liked the idea of a roomy pinafore so I can move around and put any sort of layer under it, I did not want it to be totally shapeless. I took in about 1 cm  on the side seams  and added front and back  darts - which makes the waist  about 3.5inches smaller in total - and the finished garment is still very roomy!  Right side in this picture is the pinned side:


I also did a half inch total horizontal narrow back adjustment across the upper back area.

I didn't have enough fabric for the inseam pockets so I used a piece of navy poly cotton for them.  My small strip of fabric was enough for the front and back facings - with a seam through the CB of the back facing.  The pattern suggested facings for the armholes, but I had no spare fabric for that, so used binding instead.  It's a bit of a contrast and much more voilet than it seems in this picture but it was in the stash, so it got used! :



Otherwise it was a straight forward make.  I must show you the front dart, which is barely visible except for the indentation of the pattern:



Buttons and buttonholes to finish, plus a snap at the top as the neckline wanted to pull open a little:


That's it.  Very few scraps left, which is what I like!

I'll quickly show you the front, side and back views.  Got to love those pockets:







Actually, I quite like my Pollyanna Practical Pinafore.  It's quite fun, really, and certainly looks nicer than lots of things I could wear for doing chores.:


But then, I always did look a bit like an overgrown schoolgirl...

That's it for now, will share more with you all next week.

Take care everyone,

Sarah Liz. 

13 comments:

  1. I love it! Fabulous use of left pets. One disadvantage of being tall and larger is that I have no chance of using remnants in this way. I haven't quite worked out what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this, looks lovely on you. This shape suits you. And well done using up your leftovers straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great use of the leftovers! the extra shaping really helped as it looks so cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look and it suits you. And I like the socks too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of your "leftovers"! Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This worked out really well. You must be very pleased and I so hear you on the scraps !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tunic looks very cute and useful, and amazing you did that with only one metre. I don't have many clothes suitable for Autumn either, but there are always those few weeks when that is just what you need. Great use of some nice check flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gotta make more of this pattern. The dress looks great on you. I love tunics. I'm glad you were able to make it fit with leftover fabric. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an ideal practical piece. It is one of those items you can comfortably wear around the house, and not need to change if you need to go out. Never noticed this pattern you have done it justice. Hope you get lots of wear out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the great post, Sarah! I love both projects. I have this dress pattern but I haven't made yet. I am so glad that you reviewed it;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great use of leftovers! I really like this style on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favorite dresses/tunics you've made!! I really like it.... a lot! The flannel must be so comfy and you've 'shaped' a 'shapeless' dress perfectly. Great placement of the fabric's bold pattern with such a small amount of yardage to play with. :)

    ReplyDelete